Monday, November 3, 2008

Our Rollercoaster Ride

Well, the last 2 weeks have been incredibly challenging, to say the least. The highs were high and the lows were the lowest that we,ve had. To make the journey all the more painful, the changes have been fast and furious. I don't like rollercoasters even at the amusement parks and this ride is one that I want to get off of. The problem is that we have to get off WITH Addison so we are stuck. I am still waiting for compassion or even greed, to move the government of Kyrgyzstan but so far there does not seem to be a lot of budging. Maybe "this week"....

On a more positive note, we got a ton of pictures of Addison from a visiting family. THANK YOU!!!





I love the picture with her getting weighed. That is accuracy at it's finest! I am presenting a lecture to our peds residents next week on Failure to Thrive and that picture is going to be a must. It will drive home the importance of NAKED weighs! I created the lecture a year ago and I never would have thought that it would be so near and dear to my heart.

5 comments:

  1. Oh how lucky you are to get more pictures. She is just the cutest. Yes, what is up with a weight with clothes on. She looks healthy in the pictures. Here is to getting good news this week. Pray! Pray! Pray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you got new pictures. She has the most adorable smile!
    I couldn't agree more about the ride we are on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks really good, Suzanne. Love the photo of the weight - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got new pictures. She looks really good!

    Now as far as the weight being taken with clothes on - why does my pediatrician's office do that??? Hmmm maybe Caleb hasn't gained as much weight as we think!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pix, Suzanne. But oh Lord, don't get me started on the weigh-ins! Oops, too late, here I go...

    I was just visiting Matilda's orphanage and collecting updated measurements for about 18 babies and toddlers. Five or six of the infants in my girl's room (including Matilda) all weighed in at the exact same weight - all with different lengths, circumferences (head and chest) and birthdays. I even held three of them in my arms, and they were so not the same weight. When I asked for a do-over, it was not smiled upon.

    I don't blame the caregivers who are doing the weigh-ins (yes, with babies fully diapered and clothed). I trust that they were reading the scale correctly. I just don't think the scale had been calibrated or re-leveled or whatever it is you do to a scale to make it read true, in a long, long time.

    I also took my own tape measure and, with the help of one of my travel partners, measured Matilda's head circ and length. Both measurements were slightly different than the numbers I was given (which had her shrinking compared last month's update).

    At this point, I think I'm going to stop asking for updated measurements at all, and instead, just ask for new photos and anecdotal information of what new developmental tricks my Popsicle has mastered. She seems to be holding on there at the southern tip of the US growth charts. And I do know that the caregivers are acutely of which babies are in need of special attention, and they give it. I'll take that and trust that she will catch up like gangbusters once she's home.

    Anyway, Addison looks absolutely adorable, and seems to be holding her own now, too.

    Hugs-
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete