Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Windows are opening

The desire to help a child, to love a child and to parent a child is incredible driving force.  Once again, the resiliency of the Kyrgyz 65 continues to amaze me.  As you know, January was filled with excitement and sadness.  Adoptions are finally moving forward and in fact, hopefully later this week, some of the first dossiers will be processed by the Kyrgyz government.  Once that happens, those first families will be traveling see their child and they will be that much closer to bringing them home.  Altynai's Fund has given out grants to twelve of the waiting families and four of those families suffered a huge loss last month when they learned that the child that they had been fighting for was no longer available for adoption.  As of today, those four families are moving forward with plans to adopt from either Kyrgyzstan or from another country.   A door was closed but windows are opening!  I love that a little one, somewhere on this earth, has a family that is now waiting for them.  Adoption is truly a "life changer" not only for the child but also for the family that is given the opportunity to love them like their own.  It is so exciting to know that these parents' journeys are not over yet.

I know that I have been quiet for a few weeks but please know that Altynai's Fund's journey isn't over either.  I still believe that there is more work to be done.  I find that I have to pace myself though.  I love Altynai's Fund, what it stands for and what it has accomplished.  I can only imagine the joy that I will feel when we start to see the families reunited with the precious orphans that we have all come to cherish.  That being said, fundraising stinks!  I don't know how people do this for a living.  It is incredibly frustrating and exciting all at the same time.  I feel like I am up against a ton of obstacles.  How do you keep people enthused when the cause that you are fighting for is so abstract.  People love to give to something tangible. For example, the Children's hospital that I work in, is continually fundraising and they have great success.  Who wouldn't want to give to the hospital that cares for your community, or maybe has cared for your child or a child that you know?   Or donating for a capital campaign such as a new church, school equipment, ect...  The donors immediately get to see the fruits of their donations.  I am trying to raise money for children that are far, far away, families that are located all over the US ( not here where I live), and top that off with a time line that remains undefined.  Those factors certainly explain why my task is so challenging.  I have also been very surprised by how little support I have received from the adoption community and past Kyrygz adoptive families.   I had hoped they would rally behind the Kyrgyz 65 but the needs within the community are so great that this little fund is merely a blimp on its radar.    I am sharing all of this because I am running out of ideas and my audience is seemingly dwindling.   I have always planned to keep this fund alive until the chidlren come home and I need some advice and inspiration to make that happen.   I have one more project that is in the works and then I am at a loss as to what to do next..... I guess I need a window to open.

Well, that is enough whining for today.  What is predictable and constant is the need for donations and I thought I would remind everyone about a few easy ways that you can help.  Marvielle's Jewelry ( www.marviellesjewelry.com and 147 Million Orphans ( www.147millionorphans.com/?AffId=56 ) have partnered with Altynai's Fund and they sale some wonderful products.  Their information is on the "Store" page on this blog or you can click on the links provided.  A portion of the proceeds go to Altynai's Fund and in return you get something tangible for yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment